Meeting stars is an amazing experience. It’s so exciting to be able to meet an actress, singer, model or other famous person who inspires you. I’ve met 100′s of celebrities over the past 3 years. Living in LA or NY definitely helps but it isn’t necessary. I’m going to put all my tips together for you right here. I’ll add the pros and cons of each way of meeting stars.
First, I have to say you can divide ways to meet stars in two categories: “planned events” and “Semi-Stalking”
I consider it “Semi-Stalking” if you go to places in LA or other big cities and you hope you will just run into a celeb.
This IS a way to meet celebs, but it can be very frustrating.
If you want to give this way a try there are places in LA where celebs are likely to be.
Jerry’s Deli /Pinza Bowling on Ventura.
They tend to go later on weekend nights.
CityWalk theaters/ Julian’s Bowling in Universal City.
The Grove -Los Angeles
The Americana -Glendale
Katsuya Holllywood Blvd
1 There are no guarantees and you never know where the stars will be on a given day.
2. If you meet a celeb this way, they may not be happy to meet you. They may be with friends, taking it easy, enjoying a day off.
3. Its awkward for everybody.
1. It’s free
2. If you meet someone, you have quite a story to tell.
1. Always be ready with a camera, sharpie and autograph book / cards
2. Be very quiet and respectful if you approach celebs in public especially if they are with their kids.
3. Be quick. If they agree to a photo or autograph make it fast .. Don’t ask for more than one.
I prefer meeting celebs at planned events. There are many kind of planned events so I’ll go through these one at a time.
Usually, 3-5 weeks before a movie hits theaters, there is a premiere. The cast, crew and guests walk the red carpet, meet fans and talk to press. Some theaters are more “fan friendly” than others. In Los Angeles, the fan friendly theaters are El Capitan and Nokia.
Check with radio and TV stations for contests and you may win tickets to actually attend the premiere.
If you don’t have tickets, you need to show up early and get a good spot by the red carpet. Ask security if you’ll be able to stay in the spot you like. You won’t be able to see the movie but hopefully you can meet celebs, and get pics and autographs.
1. these events get crowded. Lots of fans show up.
2. You often don’t know who is coming as guests so you may not know their real name ( never call out a character’s name) or have something special DVD pic for them to sign.
3. Often the stars of the movie have very tight security. They have limos that take them straight to and from the carpet.
1 these events are free
2 it can be exciting to meet tons of stars In one place.
1. Go Early to get a good spot.
2. Be Ready with a camera charged or extra batteries, sharpies and something to sign.
3. Sometimes it’s easier and more relaxed to meet celebs after the movie as they leave to go home or the after party.
This is my favorite way to meet celebs. Many charities ask celebs to come and show their support. Many of these events happen annually so you can plan to attend.
Some annual charity events:
Matell Party on the Pier
Lollipop Game Day
Kids help CHOC
Window Between Worlds
Mending Children’s Hearts
TJ Martell Family Day
1 You are helping a charity AND meeting celebs.
2 the celebs want to meet you at these events. That is why they came. They want to meet supporters of the charity.
3. Usually the event is fun and lots of other activities are going on.
1. These can be very expensive. Because the whole goal is to raise money, tickets can range from $20- $500
1. plan to go to a couple of these a year.
2. Research them to see which events have the most celebs you want to meet and best prices.
Many times a celebrity has written a book, released a CD, or launched a perfume and plans a meet and greet/signing to promote the item.
1. If you get there early and do what you needed to do, you will be able to meet the celeb.
2 It’s usually cheaper than paying for a meet and greet after a concert.
1. You will probably have to wait several hours to meet the celebrity this way.
2. The requirements may be complicated… Be the first 200 to buy an item one day, get a wristband, then go back another day and wait in line again.
3. After waiting 20 or more hours you may not even be able to take a picture.
At a “signing” the only thing guaranteed is an autograph. At some events, you might get a pic and no autograph.
4. You may gave to spend a lot of money and dedicate several hours to meet only ONE celebrity.
1. Bring lots of stuff to keep busy magazines, art supplies, books, electronics.
2. Make friends with people in line and security. You will all need to get along for hours… They will help you if you help them.
3. Plan what you want to say and practice it because after all the time waiting, you may only have 30 seconds with your idol. The worst thing to happen would be to “freeze up” after all the waiting.
In LA and NY if you ho to see one artist in concert, you often see other celebs who came out to support the one performing. This is usually true if the performer is part of a cast or has celeb friends. When Shane Harper performed at the Roxy, his Good Luck Charlie co-Stars came out to support him.
When, Ariana Grande Performed at the Roxy, her Victorious cast came out too. When Cody Simpson launched his EP at the Hollywood Hard Rock, tons of celeb friends came out to show their support.
1 You get to meet many celebs instead of just one.
2. It’s exciting as you are watching a concert and meeting celebs.
1. It might be awkward as the other people are there as supporters for their friends. They aren’t really there to meet fans.
Radio Stations, magazines, social media sites often have contests for fans to meet stars, go to concerts and other events.
Some Radio stations Media with lots of prizes
1027 Kiis FM
Bop and TigerBeat
1. If you win, it’s free
2. It will be fun
1. Only a few people win these contests.
2. Contests rarely include air or hotel so don’t even try if the event isn’t in your city.
1. Try as often as you can.
2. Read the rules first.
3. Use as many devices as you can.
I hope I helped lots of you meet celebrities.
Follow me on Twitter @alexirob
I’ll tell you when and where celebs are meeting fans and doing signings.
There are a bunch on my blog right now.